Our History and Activities
The Randwick Art Society, the first incorporated Art Society in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, was founded in 2009 to promote Art and local awareness of Art in the community. A committee was formed, headed by Patricia Reid, who was the elected President for 3 years, from 2010-2012. We are a not-for profit association of artists and crafts people.
The Art Society provides a range of activities for members, including opportunities to practice art and craft in the relaxed, friendly company of other members on Monday mornings at Randwick Literary Institute, to attend art demonstrations and workshops, and to show their art and craft work in our Exhibitions.
The Art Society has held a number of Annual Exhibitions at the Prince Henry Centre Little Bay NSW, with the support of Randwick City Council, since 2010. We also conduct smaller exhibitions locally throughout the year. In addition, each member receives a quarterly Newsletter and is also is eligible to have their ‘Artist Profile’ displayed on our website in the Members’ Gallery.
In 2012 the Art Society became a member of the Combined Art Societies of Sydney (CASS); and as a member of CASS provides opportunities for our members to participate in the diverse activities of CASS, including their Annual Exhibition; Art Direct, an annual Artists’ trail and Art in Action, an annual workshop program.
The Australian Arts and Cultural Industry covers large and small museums, libraries, galleries, heritage sites, performing arts venues, film, dance, music, art and craft making, circus, theatres, historical societies, archives, keeping place, writers, community cultural development and more.*
Randwick Art Society Inc. is an important part of the Australian Arts and Cultural Industry and as such, the Society makes a valuable contribution to Australia’s cultural life, through the activities of the Society and the generous efforts of the Society’s volunteer committee; enriching both the community in which we live and work, and the whole of Australia.
Our vision as an organisation is to contribute to the ongoing development and growth of a sustainable and viable future for arts and culture in Randwick, the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, and in the wider Australian community.
* Source: ‘Creative Volunteering’ Regional Arts Australia March 2003
To work for recognition and appreciation of Art in the local community and promote all mediums of Art among like-minded members of the community through sharing, companionship, teaching, and exhibiting.
- Artistic quality and professionalism in the arts and culture, and in our activities
- Lifelong and flexible learning in the arts and culture, and in our activities.
- Consultation and networking with our members, interested parties within our community, and across communities.
- Fostering community partnerships through our activities.
- Respect and inclusiveness in our approach to our members and our activities.
- Diversity of age, gender, social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds within our membership.
Objectives of Randwick Art Society Inc.
- To share companionship, teach and promote all mediums of Art among like-minded members of the community
- To work for recognition and appreciation of Art in the local community by members participating in Exhibitions.
- To raise funds to enable the above objectives to be achieved.
- Patron: Kathy Neilsen (Councillor, Randwick City Council)
- Public Officer: Patricia Reid
- CASS Representative: Rick Bardsley-Smith
Our Committee 2021
- President: Rick Bardsley-Smith
- Vice President: Dina Fox
- Secretary: Heather Egan
- Assistant Secretary: Judie Bode
- Treasurer: TBA
- Assistant Treasurer: Robyn Langford-Brown
- Committee Member: Patrica Reid
- Committee Member: Maria Kapodistrias
- Committee Member: Paula Service
- Committee Member: Marie Widolf
- Committee Member: Rosita Simmons
- Committee Member: Niki Koeppl
RAS General Meetings – all members are encouraged to attend
The RAS Annual General Meeting is held on the 4th Monday in February each year at the Randwick Literary Institute 60 Clovelly Rd, Randwick.
General Meeting Program
There are four General Meetings held each year at the Randwick Literary Institute 60 Clovelly Rd, Randwick. General Meetings for 2021 will be held in June, September; and the final General Meeting for the year will be held in December, which is followed by a Christmas luncheon.
The AGM is always held on the fourth Monday in February, and the date for membership renewal is the last day of February each year. All members are encouraged to attend the Art Society meetings.
Specific dates and details for the RAS General Meetings are usually displayed on the RAS website ‘What’s On’ page.
Documents for Members
- RAS Constitution
- Copyright Issues for Amateur Artists
- Statement by a Supplier ATO
- RAS 2021 Membership Application
Randwick City Council
Clovelly Community Bank® Branch of Bendigo Bank
Walsh’s Village Pharmacy South Maroubra
The Coast Golf Club Little Bay